“Bharathi Kottam” at Puliyankulama South, Vauniya North in Vauniya district is the 68th model village vested in the public under the New Village Reawakening Programme. This village was open to public by Hon.Sajith Premadasa, Minister of Housing and Construction on 19.05.2018.
The construction activities of “Bharathi Kottam” village consisted of 23 new housing units were begun on 19th of April 2017. The National Housing Development Authority has given housing loans at low interest to the beneficiaries to construct houses in this village and it is also a model village constructed under the Community Participatory Housing Development Programme.
The total extent of this village is 5.49 acres. Every housing unit in this village has an area of 25 perches in extent. This village has been provided with clean water, electricity, formally constructed access and an internal road system. The total sum invested in this village was Rs.18.37 Million.
In the ceremony of entrusting the “Bharathi Kottam” model villages to the public, following benefits were facilitated to the people
- Housing titles were given to 23 recipient families in “Bharathi Kottam” village and Freehold deeds were given to people in the area.
- Scattered housing loan cheques worth Rs.10 Million were granted to 50 low income families in the area.
- “Sonduru Piyasa” housing loans amounted to Rs.5Mn were given to 25 beneficiaries
- Housing aids amounted 137.5Mn were given to 275 low income families in the area
- Housing aids and loans amounted 12.5Mn were given to 250 benifisheries.
- Occupational tool kits, uniforms and subjects related text books amounted to Rs.2.5 Mn. were supplied to 50 trainees selected for the construction industry training under the “Shilpa Saviya” Programme.
- Housing aids amounted 9Mn were given to 18 kidney affected patients in the area.
- Spectacles were given to 128 individuals with visual impairments in the area.