“Jagath Nivahangama” at Kotavehera in Nikaveratiya in Kurunegala district is the 131st model village vested in the public under the New Village Reawakening Programme. This village was open to public by Hon Minister of Housing and Construction Sajith Premadasa on 01.10.2018.
The construction activities of “Jagath Nivahangama” village consisted of 27 new housing units were begun on 09th of June 2016. The National Housing Development Authority has given housing loans at low interest to the beneficiaries to construct houses in this village and it is also a model village constructed under the Community Participatory Housing Development Programme.
The total extent of this village is 3.5 acres. Every housing unit in this village has an area of 15 perches in extent. This village has been provided with clean water, electricity, formally constructed access and an internal road system.
In the ceremony of entrusting the “Jagath Nivahangama” model villages to the public, following benefits were facilitated to the people
- Housing titles were given to 27 recipient families in “Jagath Nivahangama” village.
- Scattered housing loan cheques worth Rs.426.3Mn. were granted to 2000 low income families in the area.
- “Sonduru Piyasa” housing loans amounted Rs.20Mn. were given to 100 beneficiaries.
- Occupational tool kits, uniforms and subjects related text books amounted to Rs.5Mn. were supplied to 100 trainees selected for the construction industry training under the “Shilpa Saviya” Programme.
- Housing aids and loans worth Rs.3Mn were granted to 60 benifishieries.
- Housing aids amounted Rs.3.2Mn were given to 100 kidney affected families in the area.
- “Grama Shakthi” housing aids worth Rs.100Mn were granted to 200 beneficiaries in the area.
- “Viru Sumithuru” housing aids amounted Rs.51.4Mn were given to 110 beneficiaries in the area.
- Spectacles were given to individuals with visual impairments in the area.