“Lurdunagar” at Naruvilikkulam in Nanattan in Mannar district is the 102nd model village vested in the public under the New Village Reawakening Programme. This village was open to public by Hon. Minister of Housing and Construction Sajith Premadasa on 05.08.2018.
The construction activities of “Lurdunagar” village consisted of 23 new housing units were begun on 30th of January 2017. The National Housing Development Authority has given housing loans at low interest to the beneficiaries to construct houses in this village and it is also a model village constructed under the Community Participatory Housing Development Programme.
The total extent of this village is 5.75 acres. Every housing unit in this village has an area of 40 perches in extent. This village has been provided with clean water, electricity, formally constructed access and an internal road system.
In the ceremony of entrusting the “Lurdunagar” model villages to the public, following benefits were facilitated to the people
- Housing titles were given to 23 recipient families in “Lurdunagar” village.
- Scattered housing loan cheques worth Rs.50Mn. were granted to 400 low income families in the area.
- “Sonduru Piyasa” housing loans amounted Rs.2Mn. were given to low income families in the area.
- Occupational tool kits, uniforms and subjects related text books amounted to Rs.11.9Mn. were supplied to 238 trainees selected for the construction industry training under the “Shilpa Saviya” Programme.
- Housing aids worth Rs.50Mn were given to 100 families in the area.
- Housing aids and loans worth Rs.10Mn were given to 200 beneficiaries in the area.
- Self – employment loans by Regional Development Bank were given to beneficiaries in the area.