“Mullai Nagar” at Kannagipuram, Koralaipatthu in Batticaloa district is the 75th model village vested in the public under the New Village Reawakening Programme. This village was open to public by Hon.Sajith Premadasa, Minister of Housing and Construction on 04.06.2018.
The construction activities of “Mullai Nagar” village consisted of 25 new housing units were begun on 03rd of June 2016. The National Housing Development Authority has given housing loans at low interest to the beneficiaries to construct houses in this village and it is also a model village constructed under the Community Participatory Housing Development Programme.
The total extent of this village is 2.5 acres. Every housing unit in this village has an area of 10 perches in extent. This village has been provided with clean water, electricity, formally constructed access and an internal road system. The total sum invested in this village was Rs.19 Million.
In the ceremony of entrusting the “Mullai Nagar” model villages to the public, following benefits were facilitated to the people
- Housing titles were given to 25 recipient families in “Mullai Nagar” village.
- Scattered housing loan cheques worth Rs.20 Million were granted to 200 low income families in the area.
- “Sonduru Piyasa” housing loans amounted to Rs.10Mn were given to 50 beneficiaries
- Housing aids amounted 124.5Mn were given to 249 low income families in the area
- Housing aids and loans amounted 10Mn were given to 200 beneficiaries.
- Occupational tool kits, uniforms and subjects related text books amounted to Rs.10Mn. were supplied to 100 trainees selected for the construction industry training under the “Shilpa Saviya” Programme.
- Spectacles were given to individuals with visual impairments in the area