“Nandakumar Nagar” at Thunukkai in Mullaitivu district is the 90th model village vested in the public under the New Village Reawakening Programme. This village was open to public by Hon minister of Housing and Construction Sajith Premadasa on 06.07.2018.
The construction activities of “Nandakumar Nagar” village consisted of 30 new housing units were begun on 10th of January 2017. The National Housing Development Authority has given housing loans at low interest to the beneficiaries to construct houses in this village and it is also a model village constructed under the Community Participatory Housing Development Programme.
The total extent of this village is 7.5 acres. Every housing unit in this village has an area of 40 perches in extent. This village has been provided with clean water, electricity, formally constructed access and an internal road system.
In the ceremony of entrusting the “Nandakumar Nagar” model villages to the public, following benefits were facilitated to the people
• Housing titles were given to 30 recipient families in “Nandakumar Nagar” village.
• Scattered housing loan cheques worth Rs.46.8Mn. were granted to 468 low income families in the area.
• Housing loans and aids worth Rs.20Mn. were given to 400 low income families in the area.
• Occupational tool kits, uniforms and subjects related text books amounted to Rs.23.8Mn. were supplied to 476 trainees selected for the construction industry training under the “Shilpa Saviya” Programme.
• Housing aids worth Rs.1.0Mn were given to kidney affected families in the area.
• Self-employment loans by Regional Development Bank worth Rs.19.4 were given to 97 beneficiaries.
• Spectacles were given to individuals with visual impairments in the area.