“Nawathis Samarugama” was the 54th model village entrusted to the public to mark the 39th Anniversary of the National Housing Development Authority. This village was unveiled at Palugaswewa in Anuradhapura district by Hon.Sajith Premadasa, Minister of Housing and Construction on 02.04.2018.
The setting up of this villages was commenced on 13th May 2016. It consists of 25 new housing. The National Housing Development Authority has given housing loans to beneficiaries at low rate interest to construct houses. This is also a model village constructed under the Community Participatory Housing Development Programme.
The village “Nawathis Samarugama” covers an area of 3.5 acres and every house has a surrounding of 20 perches. This village is consisted of clean drinking water, electricity, formally constructed access roads and an internal road system. The total amount disbursed was Rs.26.6 Mn.
Following benefits were enabled to the people by vesting the “Nawathis Samarugama” model village in public.
- Housing titles were given to 25 recipient families of housing.
- Scattered housing loan cheques worth Rs.11.2 Million were granted to 100 low income families in the area.
- “Sonduru Piyasa” housing loans amounted to Rs.20 Mn. were given to 100 beneficiaries
- Occupational tool kits, uniforms and subjects related text books amounted to Rs.5 Mn. were supplied to 100 trainees selected for the construction industry training under the “Shilpa Saviya” Programme.
- Housing aids valued at Rs, 12.4 Mn were granted to 50 kidney affected people