“Ralajayapura” at Sirikadurawatte, Rajgama in Galle district is the 65th model village vested in the public under the New Village Reawakening Programme. This village was open to public by Hon.Sajith Premadasa, Minister of Housing and Construction on 07.05.2018.
“Ralajayapura” village has 130 housing units which consisted of 41 new housing units and 89 fully renovated housing units. It is a special project implemented by the Urban Settlement Development Authority for the benefit of the victims of the Tsunami disaster in 2004.
Every housing unit in this village has an area of 8-10 perches in extent. This village has been provided with clean water, electricity, formally constructed access and an internal road system. The total sum invested in this village was Rs.63.2 Million.
In the ceremony of entrusting the “Ralajayapura” model villages to the public, following benefits were facilitated to the people
- Housing titles and freehold deeds were given to 130 recipient families in “Ralajayapura” village.
- “Diriyata diriyak” self-employed financial loans were granted.
- Sewing machines were given to promote self – employment.
- Chairs were given to “Swashakthi” community society.
- Spectacles amounted to Rs. 100,000 were given to 50 individuals with visual impairments in the area.
- Saving accounts were awarded for children in the area.