“Sadalugama” at Thammennawa in Bandagiriya in Hambantota district is the 160th model village vested in the public under the New Village Reawakening Programme. This village was open to public by Hon.Sajith Premadasa, Minister of Housing, Construction and Cultural Affairs on 27.01.2019.
The construction activities of “Sadalugama” village consisted of 46 new housing units were begun on 22nd of July 2016. The National Housing Development Authority has given housing loans at low interest to the beneficiaries to construct houses in this village and it is also a model village constructed under the Community Participatory Housing Development Programme.
The total extent of this village is 6.5 acres. Every housing unit in this village has an area of 20 perches in extent. This village has been provided with clean water, electricity, formally constructed access and an internal road system.
In the ceremony of entrusting the “Sadalugama” model villages to the public, following benefits were facilitated to the people
- Housing titles were given to 46 recipient families in “Sadalugama” village.
- Scattered housing loan cheques worth Rs.60Million were granted to 300 low income families in the area.
- “Sonduru Piyasa” housing loans amounted Rs.5Mn. were given to 25 beneficiaries.
- Occupational tool kits, uniforms and subjects related text books amounted to Rs.2.5Mn. were supplied to 50 trainees selected for the construction industry training under the “Shilpa Saviya” Programme.
- Self – employment loans by Regional Development Bank were given to beneficiaries in the area.
- Chairs were given to housing Society of “Sadalugama” village.
- Spectacles were given to individuals with visual impairments in the area.
- Indigenous medical clinic and kidney disease clinic were conducted.