“Samudigama” at Weliwewa, Sooriyawewa in Hambantota District which was constructed under the New Village Reawakening Programme is the 42nd model village. This was vested in the public on 09.10.2017 with the pious hands of Hon.Sajith Premadasa, Minister of Housing and Construction.
The construction of the village “Samudigama” consisted of 22 new housing units was initiated on 18.07.2016. The National Housing Development Authority has provided beneficiaries with low interest rate housing loan to construct houses. This is also a model village constructed under the Community Participatory Housing Development Programme.
The total extent of the land of this village is 5 acres. Every house contains a garden of 20 perches. This village was accommodated with a clean drinking water supply, electricity, formally constructed access and internal road system. The total expense was Rs. 13.2 Million.
Following benefits were enabled to the people by vesting the “Samudigama” model village in public.
- The housing titles were given to 22 recipient families of housing.
- Scattered housing loan cheques worth Rs.120 Million were granted to 300 low income families in the area.
- “Viru sumithuru” financial aids valued at Rs. 19.5 Million were given
- Chairs amounting to Rs.16,819 were distributed to the housing society of the new village
- A clinic for kidney patients and an indigenous medical clinic were conducted