“Sandaresagama” and “Samahirugama” at Sooriyawewa in Hambantota district is the 114th and 115th model villages vested in the public under the New Village Reawakening Programme. These villages were inaugurated by Hon.Sajith Premadasa, Minister of Housing and Construction on 03.09.2018.
The construction activities of “Sandaresagama” and “Samahirugama” villages consisted of 27 new housing units were begun on 05th of December 2016 and 06th of January 2017 respectively. The National Housing Development Authority has given housing loans at low interest to the beneficiaries to construct houses in these villages and they are also villages constructed under the Community Participatory Housing Development Programme.
The total extents of these villages are 04 acres. Every housing unit in these villages has an area of 20 perches in extent. They have been provided with clean water, electricity, formally constructed access and an internal road system.
In the ceremony of entrusting the “Sandaresagama” and “Samahirugama” model villages to the public, following benefits were facilitated to the people
- Housing titles were given to 27 recipient families in “Sandaresagama” and “Samahirugama” villages separately.
- Scattered housing loan cheques worth Rs.12.5 Million were granted to 125 low income families in the area.
- Occupational tool kits, uniforms and subjects related text books amounted to Rs.2.5Mn. were supplied to 50 trainees selected for the construction industry training under the “Shilpa Saviya” Programme.
- Self – employment loans by Regional Development Bank were given to beneficiaries in the area.
- Chairs were donated to the Housing Society of each village.
- Spectacles were given to individuals with visual impairments in the area.