“Sandaresgama” at Meewathpura, Dimbulagala in Polonnaruwa District is the 40th model village vested in the public under the New Village Reawakening Programme. This village was inaugurated by His Excellency Maithripala Sirisena, President of Sri Lanka at the honorary invitation of Hon.Sajith Premadasa, Minister of Housing and Construction on 09.09.2017.
The construction activities of this village consisted of 34 new housing units were begun on 15th July 2016. The National Housing Development Authority has given housing loans at low interest to the beneficiaries and this is also a village constructed under the Community Participatory Housing Development Programme.
Every housing unit in this village has an area of 20 perches in extent. It has been provided with clean water, electricity, formally constructed access and an internal road system. The total sum spent for the village was Rs.35.7 Million.
Benefits hereunder were entitled to the people by entrusting the “Sandaresgama” model village to the public.
- The housing titles were given to 34 recipient families of housing.
- Scattered housing loan cheques worth Rs.68.9 Million were granted to 689 low income families in the area.
- Spectacles valuable Rs.348 000.00 was given to 435 individuals free of charge.
- Benefits including occupational tool kits, uniforms and subjects related text books amounted to Rs.5 428 500.00 were supplied to 141 trainees trained by the construction training under “Shilpa Saviya”.
- Chairs were distributed to the housing society of the new village.