“Selvapuram” at Karathuraipattu in Mullaitivu district is the 101st model village vested in the public under the New Village Reawakening Programme. This village was open to public by Hon. Minister of Housing and Construction Sajith Premadasa on 04.08.2018.
The construction activities of “Selvapuram” village consisted of 30 new housing units were begun on 30th of January 2017. The National Housing Development Authority has given housing loans at low interest to the beneficiaries to construct houses in this village and it is also a model village constructed under the Community Participatory Housing Development Programme.
The total extent of this village is 3.62 acres. Every housing unit in this village has an area of 20 perches in extent. This village has been provided with clean water, electricity, formally constructed access and an internal road system.
In the ceremony of entrusting the “Selvapuram” model villages to the public, following benefits were facilitated to the people
- Housing titles were given to 30 recipient families in “Selvapuram” village.
- Scattered housing loan cheques worth Rs.14.5Mn. were granted to 145 low income families in the area.
- Occupational tool kits, uniforms and subjects related text books amounted to Rs.8.75Mn. were supplied to 175 trainees selected for the construction industry training under the “Shilpa Saviya” Programme.
- Housing aids worth Rs.3Mn were given to 30 low income families in the area.
- Self – employment loans by Regional Development Bank were given to beneficiaries in the area.
- Spectacles were given to individuals with visual impairments in the area.