“Sithjayagama” at Meegahajadura village in Sooriyawewa Divisional Secretariat in Hambantota district was the 47th model village declared open to public under the New Village Reawakening Programme. This was unveiled by Hon.Sajith Premadasa, Minister of Housing and Construction on 17th November 2017.
The construction activities of “Sithujayagama” village comprised of 26 new houses was initiated on 19th July 2016. The National Housing Development Authority has given housing loans to beneficiaries at low interest rate to construct houses. This is also a model village constructed under the Community Participatory Housing Development Programme.
The extent of the land of “Sithujayagama” village is 3 1/2 acres. Each house has a garden of 20 perches. This village is inclusive of clean drinking water, electricity, formally constructed access roads and an internal road system. The total cost was Rs.14.1 Million.
People were offered with the following by vesting the “Sithujayagama” model village in public.
- Housing titles were given to 26 recipient families of housing.
- Scattered housing loan cheques were granted to 500 low income families in the area.
- Spectacles valuable Rs. 174,000 were given to 218 people with vision disabilities
- Chairs amounting to Rs. 20,000 were handed over to the housing society of the “Sithujayagama” new village
- A clinic for kidney patients and an indigenous medical clinic were conducted