“Somisethagama” at Siribopura in Hambantota district was the 41st model village declared open to public under the New Village Reawakening Programme. This was vested in the public on 28th September 2017 by Hon.Sajith Premadasa, Minister of Housing and Construction.
The construction activities of “Somisethagama” village consisted of 22 new houses was initiated on 30th October 2016. The National Housing Development Authority has given housing loans to beneficiaries at low rate interest to construct houses. This is also a model village constructed under the Community Participatory Housing Development Programme.
The extent of the land of “Somisethagama” village is 2 acres. Each house has a landscape of 10 perches. This village is comprised of clean drinking water, electricity, formally constructed access roads and an internal road system. The total amount spent was Rs.13.7 Million.
Following benefits were facilitated to the people by vesting the “Somisethagama” model village in public.
- Housing titles were given to 22 recipient families of housing.
- Scattered housing loan cheques worth Rs.82.5 Million were granted to 325 low income families in the area.
- Occupational tool kits, uniforms and subjects related text books amounted to Rs.3 850 000.00 were supplied to 100 youths in area selected for the construction industry training under “Shilpa Saviya” programme.
- Chairs were distributed to the housing society of the new village.
- A kidney disease clinic and an indigenous medical clinic were conducted.