“Thatchanapuram” and “Kailayapuram” at Mangauttu, Town & Gravets in Trincomalee district is the 99th and 100th model villages vested in the public under the New Village Reawakening Programme. These villages were inaugurated by Hon.Sajith Premadasa, Minister of Housing and Construction on 29.07.2018.
The construction activities of “Thatchanapuram” and “Kailayapuram” villages consisted of 25 and 22 new housing units were begun on 29th of May 2016 and 29th of January 2017 respectively. The National Housing Development Authority has given housing loans at low interest to the beneficiaries to construct houses in these villages and they are also villages constructed under the Community Participatory Housing Development Programme.
The total extents of these villages are 05 acres each. Every housing unit in these villages has an area of 20 perches in extent. They have been provided with clean water, electricity, formally constructed access and an internal road system. The total sum spent for these villages were Rs.48.5 Million.
In the ceremony of entrusting the “Thatchanapuram” and “Kailayapuram” model villages to the public, following benefits were facilitated to the people
- Housing titles were given to 25 and 22 recipient families in “Thatchanapuram” and “Kailayapuram” villages separately.
- Scattered housing loan cheques worth Rs.20 Million were granted to 200 low income families in the area.
- “Sonduru Piyasa” housing loans amounted to Rs.10.4 Mn. were given to 52 beneficiaries.
- Occupational tool kits, uniforms and subjects related text books amounted to Rs.2.5Mn. were supplied to 50 trainees selected for the construction industry training under the “Shilpa Saviya” Programme.
- Housing aids valued at Rs.59Mn were granted to 118 low income families in the area.
- Housing aids and loans worth Rs.11.2Mn. were given to 225 beneficiaries in the area.