“Veemankallu gramam” and “Sivanagar” at Vanni in Vauniya district is the 116th and 117th model villages vested in the public under the New Village Reawakening Programme. These villages were inaugurated by Hon.Sajith Premadasa, Minister of Housing and Construction on 07.09.2018.
The construction activities of “Veemankallu gramam” and “Sivanagar” villages consisted of 24 new housing units were begun on 12th of April 2014. The National Housing Development Authority has given housing loans at low interest to the beneficiaries to construct houses in these villages and they are also villages constructed under the Community Participatory Housing Development Programme.
The total extents of these villages are 09 acres. Every housing unit in these villages has an area of 40 perches in extent. They have been provided with clean water, electricity, formally constructed access and an internal road system.
In the ceremony of entrusting the “Veemankallu gramam” and “Sivanagar” model villages to the public, following benefits were facilitated to the people
- Housing titles were given to 24 recipient families in “Veemankallu gramam” and “Sivanagar” villages separately.
- Scattered housing loan cheques worth Rs.15 Million were granted to 150 low income families in the area.
- “Sonduru Piyasa” housing loans amounted to Rs.2Mn was given to beneficiaries in the area.
- Occupational tool kits, uniforms and subjects related text books amounted to Rs.5Mn. were supplied to 100 trainees selected for the construction industry training under the “Shilpa Saviya” Programme.
- Housing aids valued at Rs.12Mn were granted to low income families in the area.
- Housing aids and loans worth Rs.14.2Mn. were given to 284 beneficiaries in the area.
- Self – employment loans by Regional Development Bank were given to beneficiaries in the area.
- Spectacles were given to individuals with visual impairments in the area.