“Veherapura” at Kotavehera in Nikaveratiya in Kurunegala district is the 81st model village vested in the public under the New Village Reawakening Programme. This village was open to public by H.E. the President Maithripala Sirisena on 21.06.2018.
The construction activities of “Veherapura” village consisted of 32 new housing units were begun on 01st of November 2015. The National Housing Development Authority has given housing loans at low interest to the beneficiaries to construct houses in this village and it is also a model village constructed under the Community Participatory Housing Development Programme.
The total extent of this village is 6.67 acres. Every housing unit in this village has an area of 20 perches in extent. This village has been provided with clean water, electricity, formally constructed access and an internal road system.
In the ceremony of entrusting the “Veherapura” model villages to the public, following benefits were facilitated to the people
- Housing titles were given to 32 recipient families in “Veherapura” village.
- Scattered housing loan cheques worth Rs.106.2Mn. were granted to 570 low income families in the area.
- “Sonduru Piyasa” housing loans amounted Rs.10Mn. were given to 50 beneficiaries.
- Occupational tool kits, uniforms and subjects related text books amounted to Rs.2.5Mn. were supplied to 50 trainees selected for the construction industry training under the “Shilpa Saviya” Programme.
- Housing aids worth Rs. 68.5Mn were granted to 137 benifishieries under the “Community based Police” housing aids programme.
- Housing aids amounted Rs. 3.2Mn were given to kidney affected families in the area.
- “Grama Shakthi” housing aids worth Rs. 7.9Mn were granted to beneficiaries in the area.
- “Viru Sumithuru” housing aids amounted Rs. 7.2Mn were given to beneficiaries in the area.
- Spectacles were given to individuals with visual impairments in the area.