“Virutcham” at Sawukkadi in Eravurpaththu in Batticaloa district is the 106th model village vested in the public under the New Village Reawakening Programme. This village was open to public by Hon. Minister of Housing and Construction Sajith Premadasa on 13.08.2018.
The construction activities of “Virutcham” village consisted of 29 new housing units were begun on 01st of June 2016. The National Housing Development Authority has given housing loans at low interest to the beneficiaries to construct houses in this village and it is also a model village constructed under the Community Participatory Housing Development Programme.
The total extent of this village is 3.89 acres. Every housing unit in this village has an area of 15 perches in extent. This village has been provided with clean water, electricity, formally constructed access and an internal road system.
In the ceremony of entrusting the “Virutcham” model villages to the public, following benefits were facilitated to the people
- Housing titles were given to 29 recipient families in “Virutcham” village.
- Scattered housing loan cheques worth Rs.20Mn. were granted to 200 low income families in the area.
- “Sonduru Piyasa” housing loans amounted Rs.15Mn. were given to 75 beneficiaries.
- Housing aids worth Rs.96Mn. were granted to 192 low income families in the area.
- Self – employment loans by Regional Development Bank were given to beneficiaries in the area.
- Freehold deeds were given to selected families in the area.
- Spectacles were given to individuals with visual impairments in the area.