“Bandaravanniyan” and “Kailayavanniyan” at Manthai East in Mullaitivu district is the 132nd and 133rd model villages vested in the public under the New Village Reawakening Programme. These villages were inaugurated by Hon.Sajith Premadasa, Minister of Housing and Construction on 05.10.2018.
The construction activities of “Bandaravanniyan” and “Kailayavanniyan” villages consisted of 55 new housing units were begun on 11th of January 2017. The National Housing Development Authority has given housing loans at low interest to the beneficiaries to construct houses in these villages and they are also villages constructed under the Community Participatory Housing Development Programme.
The total extents of these villages are 10 acres. Every housing unit in these villages has an area of 40 perches in extent. They have been provided with clean water, electricity, formally constructed access and an internal road system.
In the ceremony of entrusting the “Bandaravanniyan” and “Kailayavanniyan” model villages to the public, following benefits were facilitated to the people
- Housing titles were given to 55 recipient families in “Bandaravanniyan” and “Kailayavanniyan” villages separately.
- Scattered housing loan cheques worth Rs.30Million were granted to 300 low income families in the area.
- Housing aids valued at Rs.25Mn were granted to 50 low income families in the area.
- Self – employment loans by Regional Development Bank were given to beneficiaries in the area.
- Spectacles were given to individuals with visual impairments in the area.