The Government Factory provides metal and carpentry products in the field of mechanical engineering for the public sector institutions and provides workshop training in the field of mechanical engineering and engineering. Government Factory was a sub department of Public Works Department, Originally established at Pettah, on Gas Workers Street, in 1849. It was shifted to the present location at Kolonnawa in 1928, as a part or sub department of the Public Works Department to Provide the Mechanical Engineering support for the Operation of many Public stitutions at that time. With the breaking up of the Public Works Department into Highways and Buildings Departments from 01/10/1969, followed by the creation of the Territorial Civil Engineering Organization in 1971, the Government Factory became a Class “A” Department with effect from 01/10/1971.
Original role of the Government Factory was to provide Mechanical Engineering Works, Products, Equipments and allied Operations, Maintenance and repair of Plant and Machinery required for development of infrastructure, for Construction of Roads, Bridges, and Ferry Boats, Irrigation Water Management, and Building Maintenance.
Once the Government Factory became a Class “A” Department, Functions of the Factory has been operated under Advance Accounts of the General Treasury. Government Factory has been attached to the following Ministries during the last four decades, Lands and Land Development, Housing & Construction, Housing & Public Utilities, and Currently Construction and Engineering Services.
The vision of the Government Factory is to Develop the customer services, both internal and external, to the highest quality in keeping with Global Trends.
Provision of Mechanical Engineering products, Works, services, solutions and Workshop Training in Mechanical Engineering for Tradesmen, Technicians, Undergraduates, Craft Apprentices and Mechanical Engineer
Main Functionsain Functions
- Operation of Production & Maintenance Workshops Make and supply of standard Factory made items such as, hospital equipments, water management equipments; Cast iron castings, Bronze and Alluminium castings, Sluice gates, Carpentry products, Road signage products, Name boards, Household products, and Office equipments etc.
- Fabrication of various components, parts, structures, and fixing or installation such structures in clients’ premises on request.
Repairs and maintenance of machinery, equipments, and structures of various departments and semi -government bodies and institutions.
- Improvements to capital assets, repairs and maintenance of plants, buildings, vehicles, other machinery and equipments belong to the Government Factory.
- Verification of usable and obsolete capital assets and condemning them, valuation and selling.
- Execution of projects, tasks, special erection work assigned by the Secretary of the Ministry, Ministry of Public administration or Presidential secretariat.
- Execution of tender awards, special work orders, undertaken by the marketing division of the Government Factory.
- Provision of safer and cleaner working environment & welfare facilities to employees. en, Technicians, Undergraduates, Craft Apprentices and Mechanical Engineers
Social Chanel –