“Sathhirugama” at Unapana in Uvaparanagama in Badulla district is the 123rd model village vested in the public under the New Village Reawakening Programme. This village was open to public by Hon. Minister of Housing and Construction Sajith Premadasa on 15.09.2018.
The construction activities of “Sathhirugama” village consisted of 20 new housing units were begun on 08th of January 2017. The National Housing Development Authority has given housing loans at low interest to the beneficiaries to construct houses in this village and it is also a model village constructed under the Community Participatory Housing Development Programme.
The total extent of this village is 2.8 acres. Every housing unit in this village has an area of 10 perches in extent. This village has been provided with clean water, electricity, formally constructed access and an internal road system.
In the ceremony of entrusting the “Sathhirugama” model villages to the public, following benefits were facilitated to the people
- Housing titles were given to 20 recipient families in “Sathhirugama” village.
- Scattered housing loan cheques worth Rs.13.5Mn. were granted to 135 low income families in the area.
- “Sonduru Piyasa” housing loans amounted Rs.14Mn. were given to 70 beneficiaries.
- Housing loans and aids amounted Rs.6.2Mn. were given to 125 beneficiaries in the area.
- Occupational tool kits, uniforms and subjects related text books amounted to Rs.3.3Mn. were supplied to 67 trainees selected for the construction industry training under the “Shilpa Saviya” Programme.
- Self – employment loans by Regional Development Bank were given to beneficiaries in the area.
- Spectacles were given to individuals with visual impairments in the area.