“Navalar Kottam” at Mantuvil in Jaffna district is the 135th model village vested in the public under the New Village Reawakening Programme. This village was open to public by Hon. Minister of Housing and Construction Sajith Premadasa on 07.10.2018.
The construction activities of “Navalar Kottam” village consisted of 29 new housing units were begun on 20th of March 2017. The National Housing Development Authority has given housing loans at low interest to the beneficiaries to construct houses in this village and it is also a model village constructed under the Community Participatory Housing Development Programme.
The total extent of this village is 5.63 acres. Every housing unit in this village has an area of 24 perches in extent. This village has been provided with clean water, electricity, formally constructed access and an internal road system.
In the ceremony of entrusting the “Navalar Kottam” model villages to the public, following benefits were facilitated to the people
- Housing titles were given to 29 recipient families in “Navalar Kottam” village.
- Scattered housing loan cheques worth Rs.79Mn. were granted to 700 low income families in the area.
- “Sonduru Piyasa” housing loans amounted Rs.3Mn. were given to 15 beneficiaries.
- Occupational tool kits, uniforms and subjects related text books amounted to Rs.6.9Mn. were supplied to 138 trainees selected for the construction industry training under the “Shilpa Saviya” Programme.
- Housing aids and loans amounted Rs.24.5Mn were given to 490 beneficiaries in the area.
- Self – employment loans by Regional Development Bank were given to beneficiaries in the area.
- Spectacles were given to individuals with visual impairments in the area.