“Madeena Nagar” at Nelliyagama in Palagala in Anuradhapura district is the 136th model village vested in the public under the New Village Reawakening Programme. This village was open to public by Hon Minister of Housing and Construction Sajith Premadasa on 08.10.2018.
The construction activities of “Madeena Nagar” village consisted of 33 new housing units were begun on 28th of June 2016. The National Housing Development Authority has given housing loans at low interest to the beneficiaries to construct houses in this village and it is also a model village constructed under the Community Participatory Housing Development Programme.
The total extent of this village is 3 acres. Every housing unit in this village has an area of 15 perches in extent. This village has been provided with clean water, electricity, formally constructed access and an internal road system.
In the ceremony of entrusting the “Madeena Nagar” model villages to the public, following benefits were facilitated to the people
- Housing titles were given to 33 recipient families in “Madeena Nagar” village.
- Scattered housing loan cheques worth Rs.17.7Mn. were granted to 100 low income families in the area.
- “Sonduru Piyasa” housing loans amounted Rs.15Mn. were given to 100 beneficiaries.
- Occupational tool kits, uniforms and subjects related text books amounted to Rs.4.65Mn. were supplied to 93 trainees selected for the construction industry training under the “Shilpa Saviya” Programme.
- Housing aids amounted Rs.29.9Mn were given to 100 kidney affected families in the area.
- “Viru Sumithuru” housing aids amounted Rs.2.965Mn were given to beneficiaries in the area.
- Spectacles were given to individuals with visual impairments in the area.
- Self – employment loans by Regional Development Bank were given to beneficiaries in the area.