“Meril Kariyawasamgama” at pahala hewessa in Walallavita in Kalutara district is the 182nd model village vested in the public under the New Village Reawakening Programme. This village was open to public by Hon. Minister of Housing, Construction & Cultural Affairs Sajith Premadasa on 20.03.2019.
The National Housing Development Authority has given housing loans at low interest to the beneficiaries to construct houses in “Meril Kariyawasamgama” village consisted of 22 new housing units, and it is also a model village constructed under the Community Participatory Housing Development Programme.
In the ceremony of entrusting the “Meril Kariyawasamgama” model villages to the public, following benefits were facilitated to the people
- Housing titles were given to 22 recipient families in “Meril Kariyawasamgama” village.
- Scattered housing loan cheques worth Rs.35Mn. were granted to 175 low income families in the area.
- “Sonduru Piyasa” housing loans amounted Rs.6.4Mn. were given to 32 beneficiaries.
- Occupational tool kits, uniforms and subjects related text books amounted Rs.5Mn were supplied to 100 trainees selected for the construction industry training under the “Shilpa Saviya” Programme.
- Self – employment loans by Regional Development Bank were given to beneficiaries in the area.
- Spectacles were given to individuals with visual impairments in the area.