“Administrative Division is responsible for giving the assistance for all the divisions in the Ministry and to form the requisite working environment in that behalf and to manage the Human resources as well as the physical resources efficiently and effectively in every activity performed for the welfare of the populace and in implementing government policies.”
Main Functions of the Administrative Division
- Maintenance of establishment affairs of all the officers employed in the Ministry.
- Continuation with all the maintenance work of the Ministry.
- Accomplishment of procurement affairs of the Ministry.
- All administrative affairs carried out with the intervention of the Ministry and allied institutions to the Ministry.
- Activities connected to the staff of the Ministry.
- Provision of necessary facilities for all the divisions of the Ministry.
- Update of the website of the Ministry.
- Conduct of productivity activities.
- Supply of transportation facilities for the tasks of the Ministry.
- Holding training sessions for the officials of the Ministry.
“Assists to manipulate the development programmes of the institutions come under the Ministry to make the progress a reality as planned.”
“Make aware the respective parties through giving correct information on development programmes implemented by housing and construction field.”
“It becomes involved in giving assistance to take approval from the Ministry of Finance for project proposals made by institutions having identified development needs of the housing and construction field”.
Main Tasks of the planning Division
- Coordinating matters related to the arrangement of the action plan of the Ministry and institutions affiliated to the Ministry correlated with the vision and objectives of the Ministry.
- Assessment of the progress of the development programmes of the institutions under the Ministry in pursuance of the monthly and annual action plan.
- Presentation of the Performance Report of the Ministry to the Parliament in the event of the committee stage debate of the budget.
- Compilation of and reporting information on development programmes.
- Submission of project proposals of the institutions allied to the Ministry to the National Planning Department and coordination.
“This division plays a role in directing the affiliated institutions to the Ministry that engage in the field and compiling policies, making plans, guiding and following up under the fields of reference such as housing development and common amenities so as to satisfying the objectives of the housing field.”
Main Actions of the Housing Division
- Compilation of policies
- Compilation of necessary policies for the advancement of the housing field.
- Implementation of the policies related to the housing field with other government institutions.
- Development of underserved settlements and the community.
- Establishment of district, divisional and rural housing committees.
- Implementation of programmes connected with housing construction coincide with the world habitat day and commemoration of world habitat day.
- Land Duties
- Matters regarding the acquisition and transfer of lands for the purposes of housing developments.
- Activities on disposition of lands for housing objectives
- Disposition of legal rights of lands/houses to the people under Section 8(1) of National Housing Development Authority Act.
- In terms of the approval of the Cabinet of Ministers, regularization of residents who have resided in illegally constructed houses in lands owned by National Housing Development Authority.
- Housing Development
- Execution of housing construction programmes and housing projects suitable for the country’s need.
- Reform of storied houses
- Carrying through Housing Loan Aid Programmes
- Presenting cabinet memorandums accompanying the housing schemes.
- Effectuation of Integrated Housing Programmes with other government institutions.
- Coordinating housing projects with local and foreign investors.
- Development of underserved settlements and uplifting the community.
Technical Division Main areas under the Technical Division
1. Formulating policies, rules and regulations in respect of the subject of construction and monitoring.
2. Facilitating requirement for the sustenance of the Construction Industry.
3. Guiding government departments and the authority in charge of construction under the Ministry on technical matters.
4. Cost control of negotiated projects.
Mainly consists of two subdivisions namely Technical & Engineering Services.
This division is responsible for steering the Departments & Construction Authority under the preview of the Ministry to create an environmentally friendly and qualitative Construction Industry
i. Formulating policies required for the advancement of the field of construction.
ii. Activities regarding Bills, Acts relevant to the construction Industry.
iii. Guiding & monitoring CIDA, DOB, DGF for the advancement of Construction Industry & providing engineering services.
iv. Taking measures to produce the skilled labour force required for the Construction Industry.
This Division is responsible for the total construction cost by fixing reasonable rates on construction items of construction projects awarded by the cabinet on a negotiated basis and assisting the institutions under the Ministry for selecting the contractors for construction projects of higher values than the Institution level as per government guidelines.
i. Approving construction item rates for negotiated contracts through the Standing Technical Committee.
ii. Assisting procuring works of Ministry and cabinet-level projects of Institutions under the purview of the Ministry.
iii. Assisting Institutions under the Ministry on construction variation approval.
National Housing Commissioner’s Division
This Division accomplishes the authority and functions assigned under Ceiling on Housing Property Law No.01 of 1973 and the functions entrusted under the Rent Act No.1 of 1973. The main function are granting deeds for tenants and compensation to the house owners. Attending legal issues in courts.
“This division is associated with the tasks of procuring financial resources and consultancy and instructing about specific systems and controlling methods for the said resources to be deployed more effectively and efficiently in order to realize the objectives of the Ministry and other institutions affiliated to the Ministry.”
Basic functions of the Finance Division
- Planning of funds
- Obtaining sufficient funds on time
- Issuing and disbursing money to meet the objectives of the Ministry.
- Reporting the cost and progress of the finance to relevant parties on due dates or prior to it.
- Preparing Salaries and allowances for ministry staff and minster’s staff
- Procurement Process for purchasing office equipment and stationary items
- Stores management
Providing housing and infrastructure facilities to Sri Lankans displaced by war or other causes.
Internal Audit Division
“Establishment of a good finance administration and a systematic management for the purpose of achieving the expected objectives of the institutions is an activity of this division.”
Having participated in finance administration and management activities of the Ministry and the institutions allied to the Ministry, support the management in directing and giving necessary instructions to perform such work more regularly and efficiently.