“Neelaharithagama” and “Vijayasrigama” at Kusumpura, Nochchiyagama in Anuradhapura district is the 70th and 71st model villages vested in the public under the New Village Reawakening Programme. These villages were inaugurated by Hon.Sajith Premadasa, Minister of Housing and Construction on 25.05.2018.
The construction activities of “Neelaharithagama” and “Vijayasrigama” villages consisted of 31 and 21 new housing units were begun on 30th of June 2016. The National Housing Development Authority has given housing loans at low interest to the beneficiaries to construct houses in these villages and they are also villages constructed under the Community Participatory Housing Development Programme.
The total extents of these villages are 3 acres each. Every housing unit in these villages has an area of 15 perches in extent. They have been provided with clean water, electricity, formally constructed access and an internal road system. The total sum spent for these villages were Rs.37.6 Million.
In the ceremony of entrusting the “Neelaharithagama” and “Vijayasrigama” model villages to the public, following benefits were facilitated to the people
- Housing titles were given to 31 and 21 recipient families in “Neelaharithagama” and “Vijayasrigama” villages separately.
- Scattered housing loan cheques worth Rs.10.8 Million were granted to 100 low income families in the area.
- “Sonduru Piyasa” housing loans amounted to Rs.10 Mn. were given to 50 beneficiaries
- Occupational tool kits, uniforms and subjects related text books amounted to Rs.2.5 Mn. were supplied to 50 trainees selected for the construction industry training under the “Shilpa Saviya” Programme.
- Housing aids valued at Rs.14.75Mn were granted to 50 kidney affected people
- Spectacles were given to 250 individuals with visual impairments in the area.