“Sathsurugama” at Gonnoruwa in Hambantota district is the 138th model village vested in the public under the New Village Reawakening Programme. This village was unveiled by Hon.Sajith Premadasa, Minister of Housing and Construction with the patronage of Indian High Commissioner of Sri Lanka, His Excellency Taranjit Singh Sandhu on 13.10.2018.
The construction activities of “Sathsurugama” village consisted of 26 new housing units were begun on 17th of May 2017. The National Housing Development Authority has given housing loans at low interest to the beneficiaries to construct houses in this village and it is also a model village constructed under the Community Participatory Housing Development Programme.
The total extent of this village is 3.5 acres. Every housing unit in this village has an area of 20 perches in extent. This village has been provided with clean water, electricity, formally constructed access and an internal road system.
In the ceremony of entrusting the “Sathsurugama” model villages to the public, following benefits were facilitated to the people
- Housing titles were given to 26 recipient families in “Sathsurugama” village.
- Scattered housing loan cheques worth Rs.15Million were granted to 150 low income families in the area.
- Self – employment loans by Regional Development Bank were given to beneficiaries in the area.
- Chairs were given to housing Society of “Sathsurugama” villege.
- Spectacles were given to individuals with visual impairments in the area.
- Indigenous medical clinic and kidney disease clinic were conducted.