“Sivdas Samarugama” at Thissapura in Thissamaharama in Hambantota district is the 95th model village vested in the public under the New Village Reawakening Programme. This village was open to public by Hon.Sajith Premadasa, Minister of Housing and Construction on 21.07.2018.
The construction activities of “Sivdas Samarugama” village consisted of 37 new housing units were begun on 31st of July 2016. The National Housing Development Authority has given housing loans at low interest to the beneficiaries to construct houses in this village and it is also a model village constructed under the Community Participatory Housing Development Programme.
The total extent of this village is 4 acres. Every housing unit in this village has an area of 15 perches in extent. This village has been provided with clean water, electricity, formally constructed access and an internal road system.
In the ceremony of entrusting the “Sivdas Samarugama” model villages to the public, following benefits were facilitated to the people
- Housing titles were given to 37 recipient families in “Sivdas Samarugama” village.
- Scattered housing loan cheques worth Rs.30Mn. were granted to 300 low income families in the area.
- “Sonduru Piyasa” housing loans amounted Rs.15Mn. were given to 75 beneficiaries.
- Occupational tool kits, uniforms and subjects related text books amounted to Rs.5Mn. were supplied to 100 trainees selected for the construction industry training under the “Shilpa Saviya” Programme.
- Spectacles were given to individuals with visual impairments in the area.
- Indigenous medical clinic and kidney disease clinic were conducted.