“Yasaisurugama” at Midigama in Weligama in Matara District was the 51st model village vested in the public on 26th of March 2018 under the New Village Reawakening Programme by Hon.Sajith Premadasa, Minister of Housing and Construction.
The construction activity of the “Yasaisurugama” village which comprises 33 new housing units was initiated on 09th of May 2016. The National Housing Development Authority has given housing loans to beneficiaries at low interest rate to construct houses. This is also a model village constructed under the Community Participatory Housing Development Programme.
The extent of the land of “Yasaisurugama” village is 5.9 acres. Each house has a landscape of 08 perches. This village is consisted of clean drinking water, electricity, formally constructed access roads and an internal road system. The total amount spent was Rs.55.1 Mn.
Following benefits were facilitated to the people by vesting the “Yasaisurugama” model village in the public.
Housing titles were given to 33 recipient families of housing.
- Scattered housing loan cheques worth Rs.21.3 Million were granted to 205 low income families in the area.
- “Sonduru Piyasa” housing loans amounted to Rs.10 Mn. were given to 50 beneficiaries
- Occupational tool kits, uniforms and subjects related text books amounted to Rs.2.5 Mn. were supplied to 50 trainees selected for the construction industry training under the “Shilpa Saviya” Programme and certificates were awarded to 80 individuals who completed the training.
- Bags with nutritious food valued at Rs.300,000 were distributed to 150 pregnant women
- Books sets cost Rs. 100,000 were granted to school children
- Spectacles worth Rs. 452,800 were given to 1115 individuals with visual impairments in the area.